Everyone knows that exercise is very good for your health. During pregnancy, exercise can have many other benefits as well. Normally, exercise should be light, especially during your first weeks of pregnancy while your body adjusts to the changes.Any type of heavy exercise can divert the blood flow from crucial areas and most women that exercise on a regular basis should tone down their workout regimen during pregnancy.
Swimming, walking and yoga are three very popular exercises activities that are suitable for pregnant women. There are other forms of exercise such as weight lifting that are acceptable as long as it is not too strenuous. Most specialists recommend exercise 3-4 times a week, unless you have a medical condition that prevents it. If you are ever in doubt, you should consult a physician first.
Below, you’ll find some of the best reasons as to why you should exercise during pregnancy.
1. Exercise can help to reduce the length of labor and recovery time. The right exercise routines will also increase stamina that is needed for delivery.
2. Improved mental health. Exercise can lower stress and improve your emotional health, making it easier for you to get through the new experience of becoming mother.
3. Exercise can also help with weight management after the child has been born. A common concern with most mothers is the weight they lose after pregnancy. During pregnancy, exercise can make postpartum weight loss easier.
4. Exercise is very good for your unborn baby. By keeping your body healthy, you are also looking out for your baby as well
5. Exercise can help reduce the side effects of pregnancy. Symptoms such as fatigue, headaches, swelling and constipation are all common with pregnant women. Studies have shown exercise to reduce the occurrence of these symptoms.
6. Exercise can also decrease the risk of premature birth. Exercise has been proven to decrease the risk of premature birth by at least 50%.
Exercise during pregnancy is one of the best things you can do for yourself and for your unborn baby. Your baby will reap some of the benefits, which is reason enough to exercise. Always be safe when you exercise and don’t hesitate to ask a doctor for advice if you have any questions at all. As long as you exercise safe and use good common sense, you’ll do a world good for your pregnancy.